[Tweeters] Invasion of American Robin

Hugh Jennings h2ouzel at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 19:52:17 PST 2016

We had an interesting invasion of a large flock, 30-50, of American Robins in our backyard this afternoon about 1 p.m. We live only 4 blocks south of the Crossroads Mall in east Bellevue. Our lot is 39,000 sq. ft. (0.9 acres). We have left it as natural as possible. It has large conifer and deciduous trees and a lot of salal and other small shrubs and only about 4000 sq. ft. of grass. It is registered as a backyard wildlife sanctuary. We have a pole with four arms each with a different feeder. We usually have both chickadee species, nuthatches, wrens, juncos sparrows, juncos, flickers, jays, etc.

This noon I was eating lunch while looking at the feeders as it is my day to record birds for Project Feeder Watch. One of the holly trees full of red berries was behind the feeders. About 1 p.m. a huge flock of 30-50 American Robin, we usually only see 1 or 2 a day, descended on the holly and nearby fir trees. A few minutes later 5 European Starling showed up at the suet feeder. This is the first time I have seen starlings in our yard for two years. After about 30-40 minutes they all left. I thought maybe an accipiter had shown up, but couldn’t see any.

I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience today or any time in the past.

Hugh Jennings
Bellevue, WA
h2ouzelATcomcast.net