[Tweeters] Skagit County King Eider-- NO

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Wed Jan 6 20:01:48 PST 2016

Tweeters,

This afternoon, I visited the Skyline Marina area of Anacortes, including
Tugboat Park (just on the E side of the marina entrance), and scoped the
area thoroughly. However, I could not find the King Eider, and I'm quite
certain it was not there. Lighting was excellent, the water was flat calm,
and it would have been hard to miss the eider if it was there. Apparently,
it has not been reported since January 3rd.

I also checked the small bay on the north side of Washington Park, near the
park entrance, but did not see the eider there. Out of the several King
Eiders I've seen in BC, WA, and OR, nearly all of them were with Surf Scoter
flocks. (Yes, I know the recent Tacoma eider was pretty much alone, but it
seemed an exception to the general rule.) There were only 6 Surf Scoters off
the Skyline Marina, and about 20 on the N side of Washington Park. Perhaps
the eider has moved to find a larger flock of scoters somewhere.

I did get a very small consolation prize at Tugboat Park- the Spotted
Sandpiper, which was also seen there on the Padilla Bay CBC, January 2, when
the King Eider was found. This species is quite rare in winter, but not
really unexpected.

If anybody finds the King Eider again, please let us know on Tweeters. I,
for one, will be down there in a flash!

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC