[Tweeters] Renton starling murmuration

Marv Breece marvbreece at q.com
Thu Jan 7 07:27:09 PST 2016

Yesterday, just before dark, there was an amazing starling murmuration in Renton; at SW 16th St & Lind Ave SW. I watched it for about 15 minutes. At times it was directly over my head. It took my breath away. At one point, the birds pressed into a solid sphere that looked like a black moon. At other times, the mass shimmered and split and reformed over and over again. It reminded me of the Northern Lights I used to see when I lived in Alaska. I suspect this will be my birding highlight of 2016. I do hope that others saw this spectacular show. And what do you suppose a person thought who didn't know what they were looking at?

I looked for nearby birds of prey and spotted a Merlin as it left the area.

Wow!

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA
marvbreece at q.com