[Tweeters] FW: Eco-lodges in Costa Rica

Janine Anderson janine at anderson-design.net
Thu Jan 7 11:42:01 PST 2016

Given the level of interest in Costa Rica, I thought I’d resend the recap of responses I got through Tweeters a few months ago. I was mostly interested in eco-lodges. I look forward to arriving in Costa Rica this coming Monday! Here’s the recap:

In addition to all the lodging nuggets, I made three observations that might be useful: (1) January is an excellent time to visit, both bird- and weather-wise; (2) many lodges are not easy to get to—don’t assume you can fly from Seattle to San Jose and get to your lodge the same day; (3) although a few of the lodges have rooms in January, many are fully booked through January and beyond.

Here are the Tweeter recommendations (in alphabetical order, almost), along with some of your comments:

Arenal Observatory Lodge ( <http://www.arenal.net/observatory-lodge> http://www.arenal.net/observatory-lodge).

Bosque del Cabo and Bosque del Rio Tigre. Both on the Osa Peninsula.

Cloud Forest Lodge ( <http://monteverdecloudforestlodge.com> http://monteverdecloudforestlodge.com). Maybe my least favorite, although great too.

El Toucanet in Copey. The food was excellent. The owners of the lodge are from California. Free bird walks every morning.

La Selva. Great, but it is an educational dorm, so don't expect a hotel. There is an enormous variety of birds at La Selva. Very popular so book well in advance. The trails are pretty much handicap accessible. It's also called OTS (Organization for Tropical Studies). We didn't stay there, but stayed relatively nearby in a cute little hotel called La Quinta (great food, bats roost on your screens during the day).

Laguna Lodge in Tortuguero. Located between the canal and the Caribbean, it's in a beautiful location, great swimming pools, walking distance to the beach and the (very small) town. The Montezuma Oropendulas have nests in the palm trees on the grounds and howler monkeys are nearby. Toucans flying overhead, boat tours with amazing local guides to visit monkeys, sloths, herons, wonderful food in an open-air dining room right on the water. The challenge to Tortuguero is getting there. It's accessible only by small boat or small plane. I would definitely try to get a puddle-jumper flight out of San Jose to the small Tortuguero airport. Tortuguero is EXACTLY what you think of when you think "Costa Rica".

Lapa Rios. Seems awesome but pricey.

La Paloma Lodge on Drake's Bay. On the north part of the Osa Peninsula. Amazing spot and good birding. They lead trips into Corcovado National Park.

Rancho Naturalista Lodge ( <http://www.ranchonaturalista.net> http://www.ranchonaturalista.net). Great grounds, good on-site guides, and a lovely deck overlooking the feeders where you can enjoy delicious coffee along with the birds. There are Snowcaps there.

Savegre Lodge ( <http://www.savegre.com> http://www.savegre.com).

Si Como No. Outside the Manuel Antonio Wildlife Refuge. It's right off the pacific coast, has beautiful rooms and views and quick access to the wildlife refuge.

Also, this Road Scholar trip (for those of us of a certain age): <http://www.roadscholar.org/n/program/dailySchedule.aspx?dID=1-76W3TJ> http://www.roadscholar.org/n/program/dailySchedule.aspx?dID=1-76W3TJ

Janine Anderson, CPH

Anderson LeLievre Landscape Design

206 618 6054

www.anderson-design.net