[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 8 January 2015

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Jan 8 20:28:29 PST 2016

Calm, blue skies with mild temperatures for the beginning of the year. With a late start, I wasn’t expecting such a good diversity but there were plenty of active birds today. Birded with Jan Bragg for the first couple of morning hours, then enjoyed the park with a lot of other walkers in the afternoon. Some notables:

Trumpeter Swan - a pair flew out of Juanita Bay and headed down the middle of the lake
American Wigeon - over 150 (Jan had almost 300 yesterday); most were spooked by an Eagle into flying from lake into the ponds
Ring-necked Duck - a few off the Sail marina shore
Lesser Scaup - several dozen north of the swim platform; numbers starting to build?
Red-necked Grebe - solo bird in basic plumage
Great Blue Heron - trying to hide in the wetlands
Cooper’s Hawk - 3; we saw a juvenile (large; female?) chasing a Robin in the meadows, then an adult followed the chase only to turn away and land for good views in the cottonwoods; later, an adult female was perched in a cottonwood adjacent to the nest tree of last summer
Bald Eagle - 1 ad, 1 juv
Herring Gull - 3 on swim platform
Anna’s Hummingbird - many males were doing their dive noise
Merlin - very dark bird with completely dark head; flew to top of cottonwood near swim beach
Hutton’s Vireo - in mixed flock on Promontory Point
Brown Creeper - a couple on adjacent trees on Promontory Point
Cedar Waxwing - at least 30, in 2-3 varying flocks; we looked hard to find a Bohemian but no luck
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Audubon’s, in wetlands

For the day 55 species.
Checklists:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26782029 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26782029>
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26782122 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26782122>