[Tweeters] SLATY-BACKED GULL WWCo.

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sat Jan 9 18:08:31 PST 2016

Hello all,
Yesterday Jan 8 Chris Lindsey found and photographed a first county
record SLATY-BACKED GULL at Lower Monumental Dam on the Snake River in
north Walla Walla County. We of course headed right up this morning and
there it was.

There are 9 species of gulls above and below the dam - hundreds of them
- because of dead and dying shad. Many California, Herring, Ring-billed,
Glaucous-winged Gulls - with a few Thayer's, 2 GLAUCOUS, 3 LESSER
BLACK-BACKED and 1 Mew Gull. Many DC Cormorants, Common Mergansers and
Goldeneyes also feasting on the fish.

And a first for us - a Mallard carrying a fish in its mouth flying
downriver. Several other mallards were also eating on dead shad.

Other birds today: a SAY'S PHOBE and 2 NORTHERN SHRIKE on Donnelly rd.
53 GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES and 52 WESTERN MEADOWLARKS above LOMO Dam.
Warm enough today for insects to be out and about - swarms below the dam.

We don't know if Little Goose Dam in Columbia County OR Lower Granite
Dam in Garfield/Whitman has the same fish kill - anyone know? We started
seeing hundreds of dead shad at Lyon's Ferry Park back on Dec. 13. All
fish-eating birds are so full they can barely fly.

Happy 2016 birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley