[Tweeters] Re: The firestorm over "cattle country"

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Fri Jan 15 17:39:51 PST 2016

Jason and other interested Tweeters,
I'll post once more on this and then hopefully we can get back to birding. All of the questions you raise are legitimate worthwhile discussions. However, they continue to be fraught with generalities to the highest level. Here are a few examples-- wildlife is mentioned, what is the definition of wildlife? We all know large mammals and birds as wildlife, but most would consider snakes, mice and others as wildlife. I can think of many people in every county as "hostile" to some snakes and mice. So perhaps the entire state is hostile to wildlife to a degree. You then mention "cattle country", again are you meaning the entire area where cattle are raised, if so lump in most of the state outside of large urban areas.
The point is there are legitimate conservation issues but painting broad undefined definitions such as "wildlife" and "cattle country" stirs up emotions and really doesn't get at any certain issue.

There is no doubt that every one of those issues that you raise plagues human and native species interactions, but let's recognize they are large complex issues that are not best dealt with lumping together with vague broad summarizations.

Ok back to birding on this long weekend!

Scott Downes
Downess at charter.net
Yakima Wa