[Tweeters] Lower Monumental Dam gulls today

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sat Jan 16 19:02:11 PST 2016

Hello all,
Curiosity drove us back up to the dam in northern Walla Walla county
again today - and the gull show is still on. Close to 2000 gulls were in
the area, above and below the dam with large rafts of gulls in the river
too far off to ID. We did NOT find the Slaty-backed Gull today - but did
find California, Ring-billed, Herring, Glaucous-winged, Mew, Thayer's, 4
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS (2 adults, 2 subadults), 1 WESTERN GULL, 1
GLAUCOUS GULL, and several "Olympic" gulls as well.

We spent 3 hours scoping but am sure we missed some - a Bald Eagle has
found the area and flushed the gulls several times.
Fun to watch the Great Blue Herons fly out over the river and snag dead
shad - just like the Great Egrets are doing below Ice Harbor Dam.

After 4 we drove up to the gravel pit and watched a dozen GRAY-CROWNED
ROSY-FINCHES flitting around the holes before going in for the night.
Fortunately the rain did not reach the dam - we had rain coming and
going but dry scoping at the dam.
Happy birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley