[Tweeters] Birding in SE Texas -- recommendations wanted

Rich ryoung2107 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:30:10 PST 2016

Hello:

I am planning my first birding trip to SE Texas in late February/early March. I will be in and around Corpus Christi, Brownsville and McAllen, and plan on trying to visit Aransas, Laguna Atascosa and Santa Ana NWRs. I've also been looking into the World Birding Center locations. I know I would not have time to visit them all and I'm not sure if some are more productive than others--? If any of you have the time, knowledge and inclination, I would love to hear your recommendations as to:

A good birding app for iPhone (I currently have Merlin Bird ID, which I like, however it's somewhat limited in the number of species).
A good field guide for that area.
Your favorite "must see" locations/species in that area.
Any and all recommendations are welcome. So as not to inundate the Tweeters list, please email me directly at ryoung2107 at hotmail.com.

Thank you and happy birding!
Rich