[Tweeters] Redpolls - easy peasy in Bellevue

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 15:54:21 PST 2016

It's deja-vu..., they're back, and right in the exact same spot where a
flock spent the better part of two months during the winter 2013. Common
Redpolls and easy peasy again in the Lake Hills Greenbelt (LHG), Bellevue.
Seen twice today, ~15 (maybe more) at 0930hrs, and in another quick drive-by
at 1400hrs there were about 35. Both visits resulted in instant
gratification with virtually no effort at all.

The redpolls can be found in a nice tight little grove of ~12 white-barked
birches SE of Larsen Lake just west of the old library / now a Bellevue Bo
ys and Girls Club, specifically signed "The Club" (Teen Center) located at
15228 Lake Hills Blvd which runs east-west between SE 148th and SE 156th.
You can park in the small parking area on the back (north) side and just
walk across the small wooden foot bridge on the west side of the parking lot
from which the grove of birches is only a few feet away right in front of
you. If the birds are right there, the whole adventure shouldn't take more
than a couple minutes and conceivably you could see the birds in the
birches the instant you step out of your car. These birches like in 2013, and
most winters for that matter, are loaded with seed bearing catkins that
could or should keep a small hungry redpoll flock in business for weeks to
come. The redpolls sure do seem to single those birches out while ignoring the
much more abundant alders which the pine siskins and the few wintering
goldfinches tend to prefer.

Acting on a hunch and one I had a pretty good feeling about, today was the
first time I've been in the LHG in about six months, but after seeing
reports of redpolls scattered around the Seattle and the western lowlands
popping up with some regularity on tweeters of late, I figured the least I could
do would be to check that one hot spot out if nowhere else. Not bad for
just a hunch, eh.

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA
Pterodroma AT aol.com