[Tweeters] Common Redpolls and catkin-bearing trees

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 17:43:55 PST 2016

Having noticed some blooming hazelnut trees this afternoon as I was driving, I wondered if anyone has seen any Common Redpolls on that kind of tree's catkins (male flowers, containing pollen). Those particular trees had no sign of poll-ish birds or Scottish or any other birds, on them. I looked up catkin-bearing trees after reading in a bird guide that redpolls, among other plants they feed on, do favor the catkins on alders and birches, and maybe other catkins as well. In a Google search showing images of catkins, lo and behold there was a photo of a Common Redpoll included in that set!
Have any of you seen redpolls on any other winter-flowering trees with catkins, besides birches? Or alders (if they are blooming yet) ?
Time to scout some catkinated trees in my neighborhood :-)

Barb Deihl
Matthews Beach - NE Seattle
barbdeihl at comcast.net