[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup and Revised Checklist Available

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:44:11 PST 2016

We ended 2015 with 189 reliable sightings and added five new species to the Edmonds checklist. We had an unusually high number of sightings of code 5 species. Some of these were the fifth sighting of a species, which means they now become code 4. We have added all news species to the 2016 checklist and have revised some abundance codes. The Edmonds checklist abundance codes differ from the Snohomish County checklist. If you bird Edmonds throughout the year, you may benefit from having the checklist for your reference. It is a pdf file that you can print out or just store on your computer. If you would like a copy, send your request to checklistedmonds at gmail.com <mailto:checklistedmonds at gmail.com> . Again, we gratefully acknowledge the efforts of Laurie Knittle at Washington Birder for maintaining and updating the Edmonds checklist.

We are off to a strong start with 2016 birds. The Surfbirds (code 5), first observed on December 2nd, have been continuing almost daily, either on the marina’s breakwaters or on logs tethered in the Underwater Park north of the ferry dock. What started as one bird has morphed into up to seven birds. Black Turnstones (code 4) have been seen in ones or twos from January 1 - 18. Other code 3 sightings from the waterfront are Lesser Scaup, Red-throated Loon, Common Loon, Brandt’s Cormorant, Brewer’s Blackbird, and Dunlin. Dunlin have been perching at the south end of the south breakwater and swarming in large numbers throughout the Underwater Park. I conservatively estimated at least 1000 birds this morning from Sunset Avenue.

At the marsh, code 3 sightings include Cackling Goose, Wood Duck (rarely seen in the marsh), Greater Yellowlegs, and Purple Finch. Another code 3 species seen elsewhere in the city is White-throated Sparrow. We have documented 89 species so far and look forward to another year of interesting birds.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds