[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 1/27/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:24:31 PST 2016

Tweets,

Yesterday 30 of use enjoyed a great Spring day at Nisqually. it was 55
degrees at 7:30 AM and stayed nice the rest of the morning. We had a 5.1
low tide at 2:18 so we had a falling tide out on the new dike and estuary
boardwalk. I didn't go that far so the ebird report shows more than I saw.

Highlights included 11 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, the lingering
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, and momma GREAT HORNED OWL.

The GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew onto the refuge as we neared the old
McAllister Creek trail, circled overhead and landed out behind the dike.
Not sure if the group got better looks out toward the estuary boardwalk.

The RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was first seen in the low trees along the dike
beyond the pond south of the twin barns. We later got better looks at it
from the twin barns viewing platform.

The GREAT HORNED OWL continues to sit on the nest between the twin barns
and the Nisqually side. No young showing yet. Should happen in the next
week or two.

Lots of activity on a nice day with lots of vocalization going on. BEWICK'S
WREN and SONG SPARROWS were particularly vocal.

For the day I had 43 species and now have 71 for the year. We saw a very
healthy COYOTE and a turtle was snorkeling at visitor center as I finished
my walk.

Until next week.........

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com