[Tweeters] Capitol Forest Hermit Warblers, Kent BLACK PHOEBE

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 16:12:31 PDT 2016

Hi Barry,

The bend was on Capital Peak Rd., a bit beyond where it splits from Sherman
Valley Rd. The bend comes after two "switchbacks", and directly precedes a
patch of gravel where you can pull off to park. All the warblers I heard,
and the one I saw, came at these coordinates: 46.959161, -123.098505 .
Earlier is better, and the activity suddenly dropped off precipitously at
10:20 AM. I got there at 8:45 AM on a cloudy, sprinkling day, and that
worked well for me - but if the forecast calls for warmer sunny weather, it
is imperative to get there before it starts heating up. Honestly, if you
want a reasonable chance at getting these warblers, you may want to leave
home before 7 AM; otherwise, you may be trapped in weekday traffic until
too late in the morning!

Two more things: a Discovery Pass is required for driving up into the
Forest. Also, the roads are well-maintained gravel, with only one pothole
that we encountered.
For an address to plug into to a GPS, I suggest using that of the Sherman
Valley K9 Camp, located at the beginning of Capital Peak Rd.: 8824 Sherman
Valley Rd SW, Olympia, WA 98512

Good luck!

Joshua Glant
Mercer Island, WA