[Tweeters] Lewis Co birding near White Pass 7/2/16

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 20:30:33 PDT 2016

Hi all -
Nice morning spent up near White Pass in Lewis County— after the Peters Road Indigo Bunting popped up singing immediately on my arrival at 5:30, I moved uphill for another try at the Sand Hill trail off FR 1284, just west of White Pass.
As with my first trip a month ago, the burn area didn’t disappoint.
Highlights:
Williamson’s Sapsucker - one or two males drumming and calling
Am. Three-toed Woodpecker - 1 adult
Dusky Flycatchers - more than one singing away
Pine Grosbeak - 1 bright male came in close
Clark’s Nutcrackers heard many times and seen once
Gray Jays - a family down on FR 1284
Cassin’s Finch - many singing throughout the morning, none actually seen.
Mountain Bluebirds - several adults and young
Western Bluebirds a few adults, maybe young.

Looking forward to seeing what turns up next time!
[see below for directions from earlier message]

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA