[Tweeters] Happy Interdependence Day!

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Wed Jul 6 18:42:00 PDT 2016

Yup, we just celebrated another Independence Day here in America! We showed those pesky English who's boss around here. Not to mention the original inhabitants of the continent who found out the hard way what we were made of.
Well, that's political history (still being made). But, hey, how about that Interdependence Day? Everyday is Interdependence Day. This is a reality that seems to be increasingly forgotten by many. Yes, you are a dependent of the natural world. And others depend on you.
Nature evangelical John Muir once wrote "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe". Well said.
Unfortunately, some humans have been increasingly operating under the independence theory: "uh, like, we are in charge here!". Well good luck with that. We are not in charge of much of anything other than ourselves. We can control ourselves, but outside of that it gets dicey in a hurry.
On a mid-day break today at Fort Worden, here in Port Townsend, I snooped the low-tide beach a bit, and saw many wonderful sea creatures in the clear waters. Meanwhile, in the short time I was there, I couldn't help but notice a number of huge container ships zooming by Point Wilson on their way to Puget Sound ports.Happens day in and day out around here. Globalization in action. This is the "ecology" of money - the cheapest goods available produced at the worlds cheapest possible labor. Somebody is making a boatload of cash off that.
Can't eat money though .Back in the real marine ecology, I stopped off at the Port Townsend Marine Science Center aquarium to check out the daily plankton samples. They have a nice dissecting scope there for the public view. Phytoplankton (plant plankton) provides a large portion of our planets oxygen - something you depend on. As the foundation of the marine food chain it feeds zooplankton, which feed fish, whales, and fish eating seabirds. And humans. It feeds birders. So thank a plankton- maybe there is something you could do for them.
Interdependence - it's how our world goes round.
Jeff Gibsonlucky to be alivePort Townsend Wa