[Tweeters] Eide Road and Wiley Slough Yesterday

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Sat Jul 9 10:50:20 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets - En route a lunch in Mt. Vernon yesterday, I stopped at Eide Road (Leque Is.) on the way north and at Wiley Slough (Skagit WMA) on the way back. The road construction on Leque Is. is mostly done and two big double yellow lines strongly discourage a left turn into Eide Rd when headed west (I'm not sure there's even a sign to Eide when headed west.). The northern pond, by the first duck blind south of the parking area, is pretty much dried up now but the Virginia Rail there was still responding to the grunt call. The larger southern pond had a fair amount of water and a large flock of Long-billed Dowitchers as well as 8 Greater Yellowlegs and one Lesser. Savannah Sparrows must have had a good breeding year as they seemed to be everywhere! At Wylie Slough, I didn't see any of the Great-horned Owl family, but was happy to see several Black-headed Grosbeaks, including at least one breeding plumage male. Shorebirds here consisted of a Killdeer, a couple dozen Least and Western Sandpipers, and two Semipalmated Sandpipers. Photos available. Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds