[Tweeters] Wylie Slough and Eide Road action

Bevbowe1 bevbowe1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 09:25:22 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

Who says July is a dull month for birding? Not me! I stopped by Wylie Slough and Eide Road yesterday and was amazed at the high numbers and diversity of birds during my short visits to both places. I was in the area on fundraising business and so wasn't shod for any off road rambling but I was able to see a lot just walking on paths.
Wylie was empty of people at 5 pm. I saw Cedar waxwings, Robins, Tree Swallows, Am. Goldfinches and song sparrows as soon as I got out of the car. Tide was low enough for me to look out onto the marsh and see greater Yellowlegs, Great Blue Herons, Killdeer, Dunlin (back in full force - huge flock!), and many Dowitchers. the Dowitchers were everywhere at least 40 in number, it seemed, and I stood for quite a while, trying to figure out if they were Long- or Short- billed, and finally decided that there were both in attendance, as I heard both vocalizations and saw both darker and lighter bellies. I may be wrong - it happens a lot with these guys! There were lots of little shorebirds, Westerns, I believe, maybe others thrown into the mix as well.
I was surprised and impressed at all the raptors out yesterday. The Three Bald Eagles, and Red-tailed Hawk, didn't surprise me: they seem to be regulars here for me now, but I also got to see an Osprey (first time seen here for me), and either a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk. My glimpse of this last bird was too quick to tell. So many birds of prey in a rather small area; makes me wonder about the competition for food here.
Eide Road was my next stop on the way home, and while not as jam-packed with species, it was also worth the visit. My footwear prevented any off-path excursions so I couldn't check out the ponds, but I was easily able to find Common Yellowthroats, Am. Goldfinches, Savanna Sparows, and Cedar Waxwings. The goldfinches are in a large flock, feasting on the thistles right as you drop from the highway onto the road. I also found a Spotted Sandpiper, an American Kestrel, the resident Red-tailed Hawk, and a large flock of Canada geese,flying overhead. As usual, many great Blue Herons flew overhead while I was there, and also the usual mixed Swallows, Chickadees and Eur. Starlings.
So, if you are a becoming a bit bored with Summer's birding doldrums, I can recommend a visit to these areas!