Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jul 14 11:43:48 PDT 2016

Tweets – we had a really good day today, with sunny skies and pleasant temps. Of course our species count wasn’t huge, this being July, but the number of birds was pretty high, and there were great things to watch!

Highlights:

Wood Duck 4 clutches of ducklings, variety of ages
Green Heron 2 adults at Rowing Club, subadult from Lake Platform
Cooper’s Hawk Juvenile near Viewing Mound before 5:30 a.m.
Virginia Rail Heard across slough from start of boardwalk
Spotted Sandpiper 1 at weir
Downy Woodpecker Great looks – family group?
Pileated Woodpecker Female feeding a juv., close up, long look!
Merlin Quick flyby stirred up the swallows
Purple Martin Active at gourds, overhead much of the day too
Tree Swallow Active nest in Lake Platform gourd still
Bushtit 2 large family groups with young being fed
Cedar Waxwing First juveniles of the year
Yellow Warbler Juveniles being fed, adult males still singing
Bl.-thr. Gray Warbler Female feeding young cowbird, adult male seen
Western Tanager Adult male and female seen separately
Bl.-headed Grosbeak Adults and juveniles, close looks
Lazuli Bunting Nice adult male at Compost Piles
Br.-headed Cowbird Only 1 adult male, 3+ juveniles
Bullock’s Oriole Almost tail-less juvenile with adult M&F

As well as the ones noted above, there were juveniles or presumed juveniles of almost everything today.

The GREAT BLUE HERON heronry is almost done for the season, with only 1 or maybe a few juveniles still on the nests. Overall numbers of GBHE down as birds are moving out of the area, but still ~ a dozen birds seen total.

The number of EASTERN COTTONTAILS is large – we need more coyotes. Also had many sightings of at least 2 AMERICAN BEAVER, and a MUSKRAT at the Rowing Club.

For the day, 60 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com