[Tweeters] Re: Scrub-Jays

Carla Corin cw_corin at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:22:24 PDT 2016

I've been confused about the descriptions of the two Scrub-Jays, California and Woodhouse's. I seem to remember something early on describing the potential California as having more white underparts, and the Woodhouse's having more grayish underparts. Now all I'm seeing is that California are "darker" than Woodhouse's. I've seen jays that are darker blue on the backs and heads (with white underparts) and overall duller jays with gray underparts (in one occasion both in the same area north of Los Angeles, in late fall. So, by "darker," are people talking about he darker, crisper blue ones with the white breasts? Or the grayer darker-breasted ones?? I people writing about the ALU changes need to get more specific than just "darker"!

Carla Corin

Sent from my iPad