[Tweeters] Mt. Rainier - Sunrise

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sun Jul 17 13:33:35 PDT 2016

On Saturday, Sherry and I hiked out to Berkeley Park. The trail from Sunrise to Berkeley Park is one of our favorite wildflower hikes. Peak flowers are still 2-3 weeks out still, but we saw nearly 50 species of flowers on the hike.
The birds we saw along the way were

Mountain Bluebird – 6 at Sunrise
Clark’s Nutcracker - 2
Chipping Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Mountain Chickadee – a family on the trail above Sunrise
American Robin
American Pipit
Pine Siskin
Pacific Wren
Hermit Thrush
Horned Lark – including juveniles
Red-tailed Hawk
Townsend’s Solitaire – 2
California Gull – our best bird of the day – on the snowfield at Frozen Lake

Mammals we saw
Cascades Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel
Yellow-pine Chipmunk
Hoary Marmot
Mt. Goat – 9 in the Huckleberry Basin
Black-tailed Deer – Doe with 2 fawns near Shadow Lake
Black Bear – in the meadows of Berkeley Park near camping area.