[Tweeters] RFI early August SC birder visit

scompton1251 at charter.net scompton1251 at charter.net
Mon Jul 18 18:31:37 PDT 2016

Birders,

I will be in Seattle again August 6-10, can do one full day of
birding.

Yakima Military Preserve is one possibility for Greater Sage-grouse,
Chukar, Gray Partridge. Also would like to photograph a Sage Thrasher.
I have consulted Opperman's Birder's Guide to WA, looks like the base
can be rough driving, etc. Is it worth a try?

Another target pair is White-headed and Black-backed Woodpeckers. Are
there any spots near Yakima like Wenas campground where I could have a
chance?

In another direction entirely would be a long-shot try for Hermit
Warbler, which is far past breeding but might be found.

Any advice? this will be my 5th trip (or more) to the state, have
birded Mt Ranier, Skagit Flats, many other spots along the coast, and
the Okanagon several times. One pelagic trip out of Westport was very
productive, but not a good idea this year in our brief time.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Steve Compton

Greenville, SC