[Tweeters] Washington's Wild Future

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Wed Jul 20 13:50:55 PDT 2016

Tweeters,

WDFW Director Jim Unsworth's initiative titled "Washington's Wild Future" is
entering the second phase. If you're interested in providing feedback either
online or at one of the listed meetings, I urge you to do so. The link in
the second paragraph below takes you to the information concerning this
initiative and the feedback area. Near the bottom of the message is a
listing of statewide meeting dates and places.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis

avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com

Message starts below:

Last summer, I began a new initiative to collaborate with people and
organizations across the state - and with you - to develop strategies to
address our biggest challenges and to ensure that WDFW can fulfill our
mission - To preserve, protect and perpetuate fish, wildlife and ecosystems
while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial
opportunities. The first phase of this initiative, titled "Washington's Wild
Future: A Partnership for Fish and Wildlife", garnered input from thousands
of people, organizations and businesses throughout Washington.

Now, we are in the midst of the second phase of the project. The Wild
Future leadership team took that feedback and turned what we heard into
strategies and policy proposals. We are currently accepting feedback
through <http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildfuture/> http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildfuture/ and
ask that you take a look and help spread the word!

Additionally we will hold six public workshops - one in each region - during
the first two weeks of August. In these meetings the public will hear about
our proposals to increase hunting and fishing fees and general fund tax
dollars to address the agency's budget shortfall AND to provide increased
hunting and fishing opportunities as well as conservation and protection.
They will also hear about what is at risk without new funding. As we have
refined the understanding of our budget shortfall, it has become clear that
even with the efficiencies we have put in place, new license revenue and
increased state funding will be required to ensure we do not have to reduce
WDFW services.

I've included the public workshop schedule below. These workshops provide an
opportunity to contribute additional narrative to our proposal and to have
face-to-face conversations with WDFW customers about what should remain in
the Wild Future package, what should change, and what should be removed.

Thank you for your feedback and engagement with this initiative and for all
the work you do that is critical to preserving, protecting and perpetuating
fish, wildlife and ecosystems in Washington. We couldn't do our work without
you.

Sincerely,

Jim Unsworth

Director

Up Coming Public Workshops:

Each of the following workshop will take place from 6 to 8 p.m.:

. Aug. 2 - Center Place, 2426 N. Discovery Place, Spokane Valley

. Aug. 3 - Selah Civic Center, 216 S 1st St, Selah

. Aug. 8 - Water Resources Education Center, 4600 S.E. Columbia Way,
Vancouver

. Aug. 9 - Chelan County Public Utility District Auditorium, 327 N.
Wenatchee Ave, Wenatchee

. Aug. 10 - WDFW Mill Creek Office, 16018 Mill Creek Blvd, Mill
Creek

. Aug. 11 - Willapa Harbor Community Center, 916 W. First St., South
Bend

The workshops will include a brief presentation from a WDFW regional
director, describing proposals to maintain and improve fish, habitat, and
wildlife management in Washington. Participants will be invited to talk in
greater detail with representatives of the department's Fish, Wildlife,
Enforcement, Licensing, and Habitat programs.