[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 7/20/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:02:00 PDT 2016

Tweets,

Today 40 of us enjoyed a great day at the refuge. It was clear and got into
the 70s real early. Most of our action was early in the day. We had a -1.9
tide at 12:43 so the reclamation area looked like a savannah...without the
animals.

There weren't many highlight except for an AMERICAN KESTRAL and the return
of the GREAT EGRET. There were many CEDAR WAXWINGS and YELLOW WARBLERS but
not much out of the ordinary.

The KESTRAL was working the reclamation area and roosting in the snags
there. She changes perches several times as she hunted.

The GREAT EGRET was out near the start of the estuary boardwalk foraging
and being harassed but GREAT BLUE HERONS. Perhaps it was the low tide that
had it so near the boardwalk.

For the day I had 33 species with the GREAT EGRET being new for the year,
giving me 137 species for the year.

Mammals seen were COTTONTAILED RABBIT, BLACK-TAILED DEER, and MUSKRAT.

Until next week when we will have a better tide.

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA

Until next week