[Tweeters] American White Pelicans

earthman1950 at whidbey.com earthman1950 at whidbey.com
Sat Jul 23 15:57:06 PDT 2016

The pelicans continue at Deer Lagoon on Whidbey Island. They have been
around for about a month and a half now in numbers from 2 to 180. Numbers
first reported were around 10-60, but those numbers declined in early July.
I only saw 3 on the 10th of July, but then reported numbers quickly rose
again. It is very difficult to get an accurate count because they like to
hang out together on small islands in the marsh on the west side of the
lagoon area in such a crowd that some birds are blocked from view. On July
11th, pelican numbers quickly jumped back up again, and by the 13th, there
was a clear increase in the numbers. July 14th was the only day that I was
able to get an accurate count. The birds slowly moved in small groups over
the course of about 30 minutes from one location straight to another,
making an accurate count easy to do. There were exactly 180 birds. Since
then, it appears that the numbers have not changed, but my counts have
varied depending on how close the birds are to each other.

George Heleker
Whidbey Island
earthman1950 at whidbey.com