[Tweeters] Different Townsend's Solitaire call

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Sun Jul 24 17:07:51 PDT 2016

Tweets – last weekend we were backpacking north on the PCT from Harts Pass. We camped at Windy Pass, right on the Whatcom/Okanogan line. Saturday, I heard a call I was not familiar with – quite loud, repeated often. I finally tracked it down to an adult TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE and its begging baby. I believe this full call was made by the adult, with the juvenile sometimes giving just the first note in response.

I looked on xeno-canto and couldn’t find a similar call. I did get a very bad, very short recording of a single instance of the call, by making a video with my phone while I was in the tent. Not ideal, but I was able to convert that video into a sound file to add to xeno-canto. Listen to the call at http://www.xeno-canto.org/328425

Anyone else ever hear that?

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com