[Tweeters] Chelan birding in the doldrums

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 07:46:33 PDT 2016

Hey all!

I made a trip over late-ish on Saturday and a good part of Sunday to Chelan. Kingbirds are much more of the soundtrack than before, and many of the birds were pretty quiet, but there were still a few good finds.

Saturday began with a search for shorebirds, but the spot I was most excited to visit, the Cashmere STP, had little more than a little mud. There will still plenty of Killdeer, and a Spotted Sandpiper, but it's going to take some good rain to bring in some migrants.

The Wenatchee waterfront complex of parks had a lot of gulls at long last, which had me hopeful for a Caspian Tern, but there were none found there or elsewhere by me on this trip. A Gray Catbird may have been the highlight.

Horse Lake Preserve near Wenatchee has had some great birds in the last month: Ash-throated Flycatcher, Western Scrub-Jay, and Barn Owl, but none were found Sarurday night. I did come across a barn with an owl, but it was almost certainly a great horned juvenile calling from inside. As the sun went down some Vaux's Swifts joined the Violet-green Swallows and Common Nighthawks snapping up bugs.

Sunday morning I went up Union Valley Road near Chelan hoping for Northern Pygmy-Owl, and again got Great Horned, as well as Lark Sparrow, and several Clark's Nutcrackers.

From here, I traveled up and around through Winthrop to Washington Pass. Normally I figure divulging a nest site for a special bird like that would lead to stress on the birds, but... These birds are stressed out anyway and I'm wondering if there's anything to be done. The nest was very easy to find not only because of the male drumming, but because of the female who gave scolding calls the entire time I was there. There's quite a bit of traffic through the area and it seems like roping off some distance from the nest might help, but I'm not sure who to ask, or how long they'll still be at nest anyway.

My last stop was a hike to Blue Lake, where I heard the same scolding call, but infrequently and distant, then later had an ATTW on a tree right along the side of the trail.

The rest of the birds have melted. I'll come back when they resolidify, I suppose!

Happy birding,

Tim Brennan

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone