[Tweeters] Upcoming Pelagic Trip out of Neah Bay/ Saturday, August 13, 2016

B Boekelheide bboek at olympus.net
Tue Jul 26 22:12:41 PDT 2016

Denny Van Horn asked me to relay this message to Tweeters:

We have organized another pelagic trip out of Neah Bay on the M/V Windsong, on Saturday, Aug 13. Our route will venture out of Neah Bay through the west entrance of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, move northwest to Swiftsure Bank, and then south along the edge of the Juan de Fuca Canyon, returning by Umatilla Reef, Flattery Rocks, and Tatoosh Island.

M/V Windsong is similar to the M/V Monte Carlo used by Westport Seabirds, and can accommodate twenty or more birders with ease. Boarding time is 8am; departure at 8:30am; estimated return to harbor 4pm. Cost of outing ($160 cash) will be collected when you board. Departure is weather-dependent, of course, at the discretion of the skipper.

We understand the hesitation of birders to venture to NB because it is so far. With that being said, species possibilities are unbounded. The unexpected? You never know -- it would be a shame if we found some great birds and you missed them, eh?

As to distance, here are a few factors. From the Kingston, Port Townsend and/or Winslow ferry-docks, travel time to NB is around 4.5 hours. Via I-5 south from Seattle area to Tacoma and then north travel time is about 6 hours. From the Sequim area about 3 hours. For reference: accommodations in the NB area include, but are not limited to, Butler's motel (360 640-0948), Bullman Beach Inn (360 645-2306), The Inn at Neah Bay (360 374-2225), Cape Resort / cabins & campground (360 645-2250). Camping is at Hobuck Beach Resort.

Make your reservation with Denny for this pelagic trip aboard the MV Windsong today. Once you contact Denny, he will send you further information. We plan a similar trip for Sat, Sept 10 - sign up now.

Please join us for a great trip.

Denny Van Horn <dennyvanhorn at gmail.com <mailto:dennyvanhorn at gmail.com>>

Bob Boekelheide <bboek at olympus.net <mailto:bboek at olympus.net>>

Dungeness, WA