[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 7/27/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:07:15 PDT 2016

Tweets,

Today 40 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. We started in a light haze
and ended up in bright sunshine. We had a 10.1 high tide at 12.51 so there
was water in the reclamation area instead of the usual mud.... and the
birds cooperated.

We started with a NORTHERN FLICKER feeding young in a nest hole in a tall
snag left of the observation deck at the visitor center and later found a
pair of PURPLE MARTINS feeding young in a nest hole in the reclamation area
near the Nisqually River overlook.

We'd seen the FLICKER in and out of the nest hole the last couple of weeks
but didn't expect to see it feeding young today. Seems late. Second brood?

The PURPLE MARTINS were much more unexpected. We've seen and heard adults
in the area the last couple of weeks but didn't expect them to be nesting
in a snag hole. They are in the eastern most snag, closest to the Nisqually
River in a vertical slot that faces the dike trail. Guess some of them
remember hoe to nest before we put up so many martin boxes and gourds.

Other highlights included BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS in the orchard, a
SORA along the cattails near the start of the estuary boardwalk and the
GREAT EGRET roosting in a small tree inside the dike near the start of the
estuary boardwalk. We also saw a couple of OSPREY fishing along McAllister
Creek.

For the day I had 47 species with the BLACK-THROATED GRAY and PURPLE
MARTINS being new for the year giving me 139 for the year.

Mammals seen included COTTONTAILED RABBIT, GRAY SQUIRREL and MUSKRAT.

Until next week......

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA