[Tweeters] Woodland Park Picnic Area Accipeter & Fledglings

Steve Krival stevekrival at live.com
Wed Jul 27 18:34:44 PDT 2016

An adult accipiter and two fledglings were observed at 10:30-11:15 AM this morning near picnic area 1 in Woodland Park in Seattle near the Woodland Park Zoo. Their nest was also visible. The accipiters were given away by host of mobbing birds and two squirrels. I am fairly sure that the birds were Cooper's hawks, but I was without binoculars and it was fairly dark in the mixed conifer woodland. The birds seemed large to me, which is why I have not ruled out Goshawks. If an expert hawker is interested in IDing these birds email me and I will provide more precise directions for the nest.