[Tweeters] Boreal Bird and More in Pend Oreille

Terry Little terry at crossoverchurch.info
Fri Jul 29 17:45:25 PDT 2016

Hello,

Early this morning before the heat set in I set out for northern Pend Oreille County.

At the mouth of Harvey Creek, there was a female HARLEQUIN DUCK with four babies. They swam right under the bridge, allowing good looks and nice pics. Also in the area was a large flock of Pine Siskins and a Red Crossbill, and a female Wilson’s Warbler even picking in the gravel with the flock.

From Sullivan Lake, I traveled up Harvey Creek Rd to Bunchgrass Meadows. By far, the birds I most enjoyed were at least four singing male WHITE WINGED CROSSBILLS. I saw at least 10 and there could have been more. Most of them were found near the camp spot at Bunchgrass Meadows. Also seen were many Olive-sided Flycatchers, one Lincoln’s Sparrow, six BOREAL CHICKADEES and one male AMERICAN THREE TOED WOODPECKER. There was a good number of Red Crossbills and a few Evening Grosbeaks.

Back along the Pend Oreille River and the Kalispell Indian Reservation there were many White Pelicans. The shorelines look good for shorebirds, but there were none – zero. Hope that changes.

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa