[Tweeters] Fife Snowy Egret

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:41:21 PDT 2016

Thanks to Jeff for his status post on the Snowy Egret. I and another Edmonds birder arrived at 6:20 p.m. to no egret. A number of others arrived on our heels. We learned that at least several, if not more, birders had dipped on the Snowy Egret earlier in the afternoon. This is a plea for birders to please post updates on rare birds. The fact that you dipped on the rarity at 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. is of importance to other birders who are deliberating whether to fight traffic to try for the bird. If I had had the benefit of a post from an earlier birder who could not find the egret, I would not have made the trip from Edmonds to Fife. It’s just as important to share out that the bird has not been seen as it is to share your information that the bird is still at the location.

Hopefully a local birder may relocate the egret tomorrow and post to Tweeters. As the surrounding ponds and wetlands were pretty thoroughly searched late this afternoon and early evening, I would not recommend that any birder drive very far to try for the egret on Sunday unless a local can relocate it.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds