[Tweeters] Spring Season Bird Reports

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:50:35 PDT 2016

Hello All,

Tuesday was the last day of the Spring reporting period (March 1 - May 31)
and time for me to request your bird sightings from the period. Brad
Waggoner and I compile records of notable bird sightings for North American
Birds and the Washington Field Notes column. To be clear, a notable bird
sighting could be any of the following:

1) rare species (either a state rarity or a bird rare in a particular
locality, e.g. Willet anywhere other than Tokeland)
2) early, late, or out-of-season dates for migrants and seasonal residents
(e.g. Bullock's Oriole before the end of April)
3) high-number counts for any species (e.g. 35 Yellow-headed Blackbirds in
Monroe)

To keep reporting as simple as possible, you can send reports via email (
fieldnotes at wos.org) to either of us since we routinely share the reports.
Please include the species seen, number recorded, place recorded, and any
other interesting information. We will make sure the reports end up in the
right venue. Please send reports by June 15th.

We obviously monitor Tweeters, and we are able to monitor sightings from
folks using eBird. The hope here is to snare a few things, including end
dates of sightings, etc., that might not show through these outlets.

For those not familiar with North American Birds, it is a long-running
journal of ornithological record summarizing bird sightings and changes in
distribution throughout North America. Washington and Oregon are combined
into a single region, allowing readers to gain a more broad understanding
of bird sightings in the area. More information can be found here:

https://www.aba.org/nab/

Thanks and good birding,

Ryan Merrill
Seattle