Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jun 2 12:58:50 PDT 2016

Tweets – the rain stopped in the early morning hours, but it was overcast and breezy all morning. Not too cold, but not sunny at all. Kind of put a damper on the birds, I think. And we’re getting pretty well past migration, so things were active but not surprising today.

Highlights:

Wood Duck Several clutches of ducklings
Great Blue Heron Babies getting large and feathered
Bald Eagle Many juveniles, several adults
Spotted Sandpiper Four at weir again/still
Band-tailed Pigeon Many sightings, dozen+ birds
Hairy Woodpecker Female at Rowing Club
Pileated Woodpecker One seen twice, or two
MERLIN Caused quite a stir at the Lake Platform
Purple Martin Appeared to be 3-4 young at gourds
Lazuli Bunting Pair seen from Viewing Mound

There were what looked like feathered juveniles on the odd-snag RED-TAILED HAWK nest west of the park entrance. I also drove over to the model airplane parking lot after the walk, and was able to scope at least two fuzzy juveniles on the nest in the row of cottonwoods east of the field.

Lots of “misses” today, including Canada Goose, gulls, Rock Pigeon, owls, Black Swift (might have seen some WAY off east), Northern Flicker, Steller’s Jay, and Bullock’s Oriole. Despite that, we finished with 59 species in 5 hours.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com