[Tweeters] Hummingbird curiosity

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:39:12 PDT 2016

Yesterday the weather was great so I put the two nearly 3 week old trumpeter swan cygnets out on the lawn/clover for some grazing time. The cygnets came to me from the Cincinnati Zoo who donated them to our Foster to Freedom program. We take donated cygnets, raise them to nearly flight age then they are sent to eastern Oregon and released at Summer Lake as part of ODFW’s Trumpeter Swan Restoration Program. A program that is proving successful

A juvenile anna’s hummingbird came in and hovered around the cygnets for about 1 minute. Checking them on one side, then flying to the other. Both species looking at the other- youngster to youngster. The swans looked and followed the hummers movements. Satisfied, the hummer went over to feed on my cape fuchsia flowers. Then made a final pass and pause over the cygnets before leaving the yard.

Martha Jordan
Everett
Northwest Swan Conservation Association