[Tweeters] Ocean Shores this weekend

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 13:34:27 PDT 2016

Just the highlights:Saturday morning on the jetty:  11 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.  Rather poor but identifiable photo of one on ebird.  Ebird lists this species as rare for the season, but I note that mine is the first checklist submitted for first week of June.  Three flyover Whimbrels were nice, but best flyover was a Rufous Hummingbird that flew over me from the ocean side at the tip of the jetty!
Saturday afternoon at the Game Range:  Unexpectedly diverse group of shorebirds, including two breeding-plumaged Dunlin, Western and Least S'pipers, forty Semipalm Plovers, Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs and two SB Dowitchers, one in full breeding plumage, the other in very worn basic, showing no sign of molt.  This is the one that a distant glimpse of in flight drove me to post a garbled message to tweeters alerting anyone in the area of a possible very sexy tringa.  Then it came in close enough to see well..  Best bird instead was a breeding-plumaged male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD a couple hundred yards west of the Tonquin access.    Stepped into a waist-deep pocket of mud trying to get a cell-phone video of that one.  The bird didn't come out, but the film is still pretty entertaining.
Jeff bryantseattlejbryant_68 At yahoo