[Tweeters] Mt Adams and Other Birding Fun

Eric Heisey magicman32 at rocketmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:33:34 PDT 2016

Hey all,
Last night, I ventured over to the Yakima County portion of Mt. Adams with Annika Willette with the intentions of camping there overnight and waking up early to go birding. We found a campsite around Pineside SnoPark, and had Northern Saw-whet Owl calling from outside the tent. We rose early and ate a nice breakfast, and were quickly treated to wonderful views of a male Hermit Warbler around where we camped. We worked our way up FR-82 and were able to find several Black-throated Gray Warblers without too much difficulty, in the same areas as last year. We got some great looks at these too!
After this, we ventured down into Trout Lake (now in Klickitat County), where we enjoyed very pleasant birding with nice temperatures and fantastic diversity (66 species in about two hours!). Notable here were Veery, nesting Red-eyed Vireo, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Swainson's Thrush, and several many more of the expected goodies. After a stop to get a delicious huckleberry smoothie, we headed down towards White Salmon and Bingen, where we stopped along the Columbia River at a spot where I have had Purple Martin previously. I think this is the furthest east that they are known to nest in Washington! We quickly found a pair despite the high winds and high temperature, and were treated to nice looks at a male and female.
We motored on up the river to Lyle, where we did a quick hike along the Balfour-Klickitat Trail in 99 degree weather. Despite the blazing heat, we did manage to find some Lesser Goldfinches, which we had nice looks at. We went along the road to the known granary tree used by Acorn Woodpeckers, but were unable to find any (heat?).
Deciding we were hot, we started back towards Goldendale and stopped briefly for some ice cream at Dairy Queen. Heading back along 97 in Yakima County, we had the best bird of the day as an ACORN WOODPECKER flew across the road, right in front of the car!!! This was about .1 or .2 miles south of mile marker 38, and it flew west into a large patch of Garry Oak. We drove back and spent a good amount of time trying to relocate it, but due to 102 degree temperatures, general road noise from incessant traffic, and no access to anything off of the road, we were unable to relocate it. I might suggest to people attempting to relocate this bird going early in the morning, before traffic and heat are too bad. We also had a great looks at an Ash-throated Flycatcher here. Driving north two miles and stopping just south of milepost 40, we heard a Red-eyed Vireo calling from the thick riparian, a spot where these have been in past years.
Hope that all is well, good birding!
Eric Heisey