[Tweeters] Ticked off: Another thing that bugs me: TICKS!--New Research: A six-minute plan to rid clothes of ticks

Dan Reiff, PhD notcalm at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 03:33:07 PDT 2016

Tweeters,
I very much enjoy observing and filming birds in Eastern WA. However, at least once a year, and within two days of return, I find that a tick has, without my permission, and given my best attempts to discourage ridership, made its appearance felt on me on Mercer Island. This is a new thing for me and I find it less than pleasant-actually much less.
If you are unfamiliar with seeing a facial expression of disgust-remove a tick from your head and announce to your family that you have just found a tick on your body.
The stats show 300,000 diagnosed cases of Lyme diseases in the US each year. That concerns me. One of my WA state birding friends may have died this year as a result of complications from this disease.
I did find this new research to be helpful:
"High heat for 6- 20 minutes in the dryer with some some dry towels."
I had previously thoughts that washing clothes was the the best remedy.
I will ask my family about their contributions of dry towels soon.
I hope this link helps you:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-six-minute-plan-to-rid-clothes-of-ticks-1464635032

Best regards,
Dan Reiff