[Tweeters] Destruction of Bird Nests

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:56:49 PDT 2016

I’d assume that the poster can report the Chimacum nest removal to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. There are some few exceptions to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act that allow some captures and kills—with a permit. It is called a Bird Depredation Permit. Here is the link to information: https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf <https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf> . A homeowner pays $50 for a permit and a business pays $100. Doubtful that this small business bothered with obtaining the exemption that would have allowed removal of the active nest. So I would think a report from the witness to US FWS would be in order. This is part of the information provided on depredation permits:

3. What activities can I do without a depredation permit?

You do not need a federal depredation permit to harass or scare birds (except eagles and threatened or endangered species), provided (a) birds are not killed or injured and (b) birds sitting on active nests (nests with eggs or chicks present) are not disturbed to the point that it causes the eggs to not hatch or the chicks to die or become injured.

A permit is required to destroy an active bird nest (one with eggs or chicks present).

Carol Riddell
Edmonds