[Tweeters] Yellow-breasted Chat whatcom county

Fanter Lane fanterlane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:24:40 PDT 2016

Hello birders,
Today my dad and I found a Yellow-breasted Chat at the south end of lake whatcom while doing a whatcom land trust survey. The bird was singing and gave some quick but good looks. It would sing a little then be quiet for about 10min so be patient. Sounds like other birders found it this evening as well. It was moving around between thick patches of small alders, blackberries, and red elderberry on the land trust property so please be respectful even though it is public.

The best parking is a gravel pullout right before you cross a creek and railroad tracks heading away from Sudden Valley. Probably the best way to find the area is to look in the Ebird hotspot. For specific directions you can email me but I will do my best to explains the rough directions here. From the gravel pullout walk down the rd towards the railroad tracks and then there is an old rd on the right with a metal gate. Walk past the gate and you will come to a narrow open area with patches of the previously described foliage, that is the spot it was hanging out. If you come to the large meadow you have gone too far. There whole area is great birding so if your in the area keep an eye and ear out!!

Good birding,
Fanter Lane
Acme, WA
fanterlane at gmail.com