[Tweeters] Sign up for Neah Bay pelagic trip

B Boekelheide bboek at olympus.net
Fri Jun 24 19:56:43 PDT 2016

Hey, Tweeters,

Denny Van Horn has arranged a pelagic seabird trip out of Neah Bay on Saturday, July 9, and we need more people to have enough for the cruise.

The boat is the M/V Wind Song, a very seaworthy boat similar to the M/V Monte Carlo used on Westport Seabird trips. The likely route, depending on weather and the ocean, is to head offshore through the west entrance of the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Swiftsure Bank, then south along the edge of the Juan de Fuca Canyon, then return inshore by Umatilla Reef, Flattery Rocks, and Tatoosh Island. This route explores areas of the renowned Juan de Fuca Eddy, AKA “the Big Eddy.” Target birds will be a variety of tubenoses and alcids, along with early returning migrants from northern nesting areas, such as jaegers, terns, gulls, and phalaropes.

Here is an interesting paper by Alan Burger that describes more about the Juan de Fuca Eddy and its birds:

http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/31_2/31_2_113-122.pdf <http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/31_2/31_2_113-122.pdf>

People need to be at the boat in the Neah Bay marina by 8 am on July 9th, to depart by 8:30 am. We will return to Neah Bay between 3 - 5 pm. Cost is $160 per person, cash at the boat. Neah Bay/Hobuck Beach has a variety of motels, cabins, and a campground, if you want to stay out there before or after the trip.

Denny has also reserved the boat for Sat., Aug 13, and Sat., Sep 10, so you could sign up for those dates as well. These trips are a big experiment to see whether this area is worthy of regular pelagic trips during summer, and whether there is enough interest to run the trips. Please join us!

If you would like to reserve a spot, or for more info, best to contact Denny at dennyvanhorn at gmail.com <mailto:dennyvanhorn at gmail.com>, or alternatively me at bboek at olympus.net <mailto:bboek at olympus.net>.

Hope to see you!
Bob Boekelheide
Dungeness