[Tweeters] Interesting observation... any explanations?

Linda Phillips linda_phillips1252 at msn.com
Sun Jun 26 13:18:37 PDT 2016

Sunday afternoon I was in my back yard (which borders a green belt) I heard a commotion in the woods. I could see thrashing in the tree branches and heard what sounded like a death cry. A moment later a Cooper’s hawk came into view. She landed on a large branch clutching a Downy Woodpecker. She stood there clutching her prey for a couple of minutes while chickadees protested in the trees around her. Then she began to pluck the woodpecker. She had only pulled a few feathers when she flew off out of view. After about 5 minutes she came back into view, still holding the Downy. She circled over my yard several times being pursued by a European Starling. It surprised me to see that it was a starling chasing the hawk. Can anyone shed light on my observations? Was the starling attempting to drive the predator out of the neighborhood? Was it trying to steal the hawks catch? (the chase was very reminiscent of an eagle attempting to steal an osprey’s fish)
Thanks for any input.

Linda Phillips
Kenmore

Sent from Mayil for Windows 10