[Tweeters] Public Meeting Announcement: Saltwater State Park project

Vanderhoof, Jennifer Jennifer.Vanderhoof at kingcounty.gov
Tue Mar 1 12:07:23 PST 2016

I wanted to let everyone know about a public meeting coming up about the proposed shoreline and creek restoration project at Saltwater State Park in Des Moines. We are in the very early stages and are looking at possible design alternatives. It's a salmon recovery project, and the proposal for the creek is to remove the rock armoring from the creek mouth and create a pocket estuary. This pocket estuary would be a tidal wetland, which have been all but eliminated from Central Puget Sound. If this project were to move forward, we would end up very likely increasing the amount of bird habitat - adding riparian area as well as adding some wetland area in the form of saltwater marsh. Additionally, part of the proposed project is to remove part or all of the rock armoring along the shoreline north of the creek and create a more natural beach.

Please consider attending and making your opinion heard.

Wednesday, March 23rd
7 to 9 pm
Founders Lodge, Beach Park Event Center
22030 Cliff Ave. S., Des Moines WA 98198

There is additional info on the website: www.kingcounty.gov/saltwatersp<http://www.kingcounty.gov/saltwatersp>

In the coming days check the website for more info on the format of the meeting.

Thanks!

Jennifer Vanderhoof, Senior Ecologist | King County Water and Land Resources Division | Ph: 206-477-4840 | jennifer.vanderhoof at kingcounty.gov<mailto:jennifer.vanderhoof at kingcounty.gov>