Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 3 14:05:42 PST 2016

Tweets – Despite somewhat dire weather forecasts, this morning was amazingly pleasant. There was some thunder and lightning long before dawn, but for our walk, we had several hours of SUNSHINE. No, really. And then, while it did start getting a touch blustery, and while Big Dark Clouds blew past, we had only a few moments of sprinkles. And the birds were out and about enjoying it all, as we were.

Highlights:

Cackling Goose 1 flock twice, or 2 flocks of ~25
American Wigeon Four well below weir
Greater Scaup Appear to be the same 3 we’ve been seeing
Green Heron Juvenile on beaver lodge yet again
Virginia Rail Heard “singing” east of East Meadow
Wilson’s Snipe Four east of East Meadow
California Gull Three in very bright breeding plumage
Band-tailed Pigeon Flyover, 1 bird – First Of Year
Barn Owl Sharon saw one pre-dawn at windmill
Red-breasted Sapsucker At least 2 birds, at least 3 sightings – FOY
Merlin Seen twice over slough
Northern Shrike Juvenile seen just before 7
Swallows Mix of TREE and VIOLET-GREEN 50-60
Varied Thrush Two singing near mansion just after 7
Townsend’s Warbler Male near mansion – FOY
Lincoln’s Sparrow One below slough, briefly seen – FOY
Western Meadowlark Flock of a dozen plus again north of Fields 7-8-9
coyote Two walked past the Viewing Mound ~6:45

The first SALMONBERRY blossoms of the year were seen, so after the Rowing Club, I made a quick swing back down through the Dog Area. Sure enough, at the very southern tip of the Dog Meadow, I found a male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD – First Of Year. This is the earliest we’ve ever had Rufous Hummingbird; the previous early date was 2015-03-05 (only 1 day later, since this year is a leap year). OF NOTE IS THE FOLLOWING: This is the 9th time we’ve had a RUHU prior to March 15th. Six of the 9 early sightings are from the last 3 years!

For the day, a phenomenal 65 species. And FIVE new species for the year to bring our year total to 84 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com