[Tweeters] Interesting Crow Behavior

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Tue Mar 8 10:14:39 PST 2016

It seems like, in watching Crows (and Ravens), it's not uncommon to see them do something different. I did yesterday.
I'd just walked out the door, and noticed a flying Crow descending, wings outspread, with it's feet fully extended out below. It reminded me of a Red-tailed Hawk, talons extended, going down for a vole or something. Or Bald Eagles, with talons extended , about to go into their cartwheel mating thing. So I wondered if this was some sort of mating thing. There were two Crows, circling about , only one of which was doing the feet- out- dive -thing ; the other Crow paid no attention. These descending flights were all well off the ground.
The descending with feet out continued about 6 times before the bird landed in a nearby fir tree top, it then dropped down further into the tree. I googled Crow mating and territorial behaviors, and didn't find any mention of this sort of thing, but I'll keep watching that fir for possible nesting.
Hey, maybe the Crow had just nabbed one of the thousands of tree frogs around here, and was just drying off it's wet feet. I just don't know.
Jeff GibsonPort Townsend Wa