[Tweeters] Re: Crossbills in Ellensburg

Loren Mooney loren.mooney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:26:47 PST 2016

The behavior on these crossbills was interesting to watch. They would work
the cones, some of them hanging upside down to feed. They just looked like
another cone in that position. One or two would scout for the others on a
tree top. Every once in a while they would suddenly all disappear into the
branches. When they did, I'd look up and there was usually a coopers hawk
or falcon flying by within a few seconds. They'd also disappear when the
crows would make an alarm call. About 30 seconds later they'd come back
out to feed.

--
Loren Mooney
https://www.flickr.com/photos/loren-mooney/ <http://www.mooneyimages.com>