[Tweeters] Life in Port Townsend

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Sun Mar 13 12:20:35 PDT 2016

It's been sort of a stormy week here in , all sorts of things happening.
Leaving home in my little truck, my first nature stop was about 150 ft down my lumpy street, where I was stopped by a Bird-related Traffic Situation. You see, folks on either side of the street there feed and put out water for ducks. So sometimes traffic is backed up (not really) when the ducks - all Mallards - waddle across the street from one yard to the other. Widgeons are around the 'hood too, in two nearby retention ponds, but I guess they're not into fast food like these Mallards.
I suppose the ducks were stuffed with corn, or whatever, and were particularly slow in waddling across the road, so I had to barely creep along- just enough to give them a nudge. I just watched a special about Lewis and Clark last night, and apparently on one spot on some river ,they had to wait for hours for a huge Buffalo herd to cross the river in front of them - so I guess waiting for a few ducks wasn't too bad. It happens most days.
Well, I got past the ducks, and out to Fort Worden, where a lot has been going on - with all the stormy weather the typically clear water at the pier was all clouded up by storm-whipped sediments - it was like being back in Mudville (aka Everett) where estuary murk is the norm. The storm has also piled ton's of new driftwood on the beach. I love driftwood - it's interesting.
Anyhoo, it was kinda quiet bird-wise (coldish and windy), but there was a single adult Bald Eagle perched on the handrail across the embayment there. Kind of unusual. It sat there unmoving, even as some guy approached to within 20ft of it. I wondered if maybe it was sick, but then saw what the deal was. The Eagle was staring down at the dock float where two Otters were eating ( one tearing apart a fish, the other delaminating some sort of crab) and I imagine the scavenger part of the bird's personality was at the forefront of it's consciousness . Maybe just the plain hungry part.
The Otters didn't leave much for the Eagle, especially because three more Otters showed up, four of them involved in a brief food spat, which soon deescalated into a four -nose-to-nose detante , followed by cuddling. The Eagle was still hoping though.
Then out toward the Point, where I checked out my favorite sand dune spots for flowers - the very small native annual Collinsia has been blooming down there for several weeks, and now there are more of these brilliant blue, yet very tiny, flowers - takes some close inspection to notice. The rains of late surely are spurring on the plant growth on the usually dry dunes. Lot's of things coming up.
Out at Point Wilson was an interesting water phenomenon: the mouth of Puget Sound was sharply delineated by big whitecaps all across the Sound, which were abruptly stopped by the power of the vast tide incoming down the fairly calm Strait. The water kinda looked like it does when crossing one of our floating bridges on a stormy day - rough on the windward side, calm on the lee. Except there was no bridge. Pretty cool.
Jeff GibsonPort Townsend Wa

More information about the Tweeters mailing list