[Tweeters] Skagit wind-birding

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 17:41:46 PDT 2016

Dear Tweeters,
Today, 13 March 2016, it is blusterier than can be in Skagit County. Passerines other than crows and ravens were hard to find everywhere I birded. Here are a few highlights.
--not having my car damaged from falling limbs.
--About fifty American Robins at Rasar State Park, giving close views, knowing they could zoom off by sticking out a primary or two in the near gale.
--a continuing flock of interesting birds at Cockreham Island, including a Greater White-fronted Goose, four Cacklers, four Tundra Swans with the Trumpeters, and a bunch of gulls of the commoner types. A Peregrine came in and tried to take one of the wigeon. Since most of the island has been planted in bird-desert blueberries, I was surprised to find a lot of the gulls walking around in the puddles between the berry bush-rows. Usually, the berry plantation is devoid of birds. I think they may have been trying to get out of the wind.
--a nearly pure flock of Mew Gulls at Gear Road (just north of Burlington Industrial Park), with at least 600 Mews, plus fewer than ten total of all other species. Also here, the big flock of Wilson's Snipe continues in the retention pond, often visible at very close range from the car.
--a flock of over a hundred gulls, almost all Mew, avoiding the soccer aficionados at Burlington's riverside ball-fields.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch