[Tweeters] No Crossbills Today

Wally Davis wallydavis3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:42:19 PDT 2016

On my way home from the Tri-cities I stopped by Ellensburg to, hopefully,
see the crossbills. I spent about two hours combing the campus starting and
ending at the Japanese garden and looking at every conifer within several
blocks. Birds viewed: 1 red breasted nuthatch, in the Japanese garden, 1
robin, just north, crows flying around, and 2 red-tailed hawks flying above.

After giving up on the crossbills (and the previously reported Townsend's
Solitaire) I decided to go down to 6th street to look for the Common
Redpoll. As we arrived my wife spotted a small bird land on top of a
conifer. Before I could focus the binoculars a Sharp Shinned hawk flew by
the tree and half a dozen small birds flew out. I think they were Goldfinch
but didn't really get a good look-circled the block for 15 minutes and only
saw an English Sparrow.

Maybe next year.

Wally Davis,

Snohomish