[Tweeters] Common Redpolls, Ellensburg

Walter Szeliga walter.szeliga at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:30:13 PDT 2016

Hi Tweeters,
While walking across the quiet campus this morning, I heard Pine Siskins in a birch tree on the east side of Samuelson (big abandoned building in the center of the southern part of campus). When I walked over to investigate, I found that the group of birds was actually composed mostly of Common Redpolls! About 15 Common Redpolls and 5 or so Pine Siskins. Other’s have reported Redpolls in this area of campus and up on Craig’s Hill all Winter. They seem to be feeding on the catkins that are now appearing on the birches.

Cheers,
Walter Szeliga
Ellensburg, WA